How to start keto diet for weight loss and fat loss? The best way to start keto diet is first to find out what foods to eat on keto diet and foods not to eat on keto diet. As a beginner, you might be confused with keto diet and thought this is just another low carb diet.
Rest assured, after reading this article, you will have a list of foods to eat on keto diet and you definitely have an idea while preparing keto meals for you and your family.
Standard Keto Diet
Standard keto diet is a diet aims for taking in a lot of healthy and high fatty food (75%), moderate on protein (20%) and very little to no carbohydrates (5%).
Why does keto diet focus on fatty food but so restrictive to carbohydrates? According to a health article published in Harvard Medical School, our body cells use up calories from carbohydrates as the primary source of energy to perform functions.
However, when we limit the intake of carbohydrates which will break down to sugar later, the body cells are forced to decompose fat into ketone molecules. In this stage (ketosis), our body cells will use ketone instead as an energy source to perform functions.
In order to enter ketosis stage faster and turn on the fat burning mode, an individual is recommended not to take in carbohydrates for more than 20 grams per day.
This will eventually lead us to fat loss and weight loss effectively and efficiently. This diet is suitable for an individual who suffers from obesity and want to lose weight.
What Foods to Eat On keto Diet
According to Rachel Roberts, a creator of custom keto diet, she recommends a variety of foods that can be included in your keto diet meal. In addition, she suggests that all ingredients obtained should be natural, organic and free from any pesticide toxin. Below are foods to eat on keto diet based on the recommendations from Rachel :
- Meat : pork, beef, lamb, chicken, ham and sausages (avoid any added bread crumbs, soy product or sugar) and bacon. Choose the parts of meat that contain more fat when you are purchasing groceries.
- Seafood : fish (especially Salmon and Tuna) and shellfish such as oyster, shrimps, scallop and crab (wild caught but not imitation crab) etc. Canned salmon and tuna are acceptable in keto diet.
- Fats : omega 3 fatty acids (salmon and tuna), mono saturated fat (egg yolks, avocado and butter), non-hydrogenated fat (beef tallow, ghee and lard), duck fat and chicken fat.
- Oil : coconut oil and olive oil.
- Vegetables : shallots, garlic, cabbage, dandelion greens, broccoli, alfalfa sprouts, collard greens, celery, onion(moderate intake), beet greens, spinach, bamboo shoots, brussels sprouts, mushrooms, asparagus, radishes, dill pickles, turnips, cucumbers, bean sprouts, cauliflower, celery root, sauerkraut, kale, bok choy, chives, Swiss chard, snow peas, olives, salad greens and lettuces, scallions, leeks and chard.
- Dairy : all kind of full fat cheeses, cream cheese, unsweetened whole milk yogurt (limit intake), whip cream and full fat sour cream. Almond milk and coconut milk can be used as an alternative to replace grass fed milk like cow’s milk.
- Nuts(lower carbs, take in small amount and soak it in water before roast if possible) : macadamias, pecans, walnuts and almonds, almond flour (replace regular flour for any baking purposes).
- Nuts(higher carbs, limit your intake and soak it in water before roast if possible) : pistachios, chestnuts and cashews nuts.
- Sweeteners : erythritol, splendor liquid, liquid stevia, swerve, xylitol, inulin and chicory root.
- Spices : sage, parsley, cinnamon, turmeric, cumin seeds, rosemary, thyme, chili pepper, ginger, sea salt, peppermint, basil, cloves, cilantro or coriander seeds, black pepper, oregano, cayenne pepper, mustard seeds and dill.
Foods Not to Eat On Keto Diet
Below are the examples of foods not to eat that are recommended by Rachel :
- Grains : foods made by grains such as pizza, cookies and pasta etc, whole meal grains such as wheat, oats, barley, corn, rice sorghum, rye and buckwheat etc.
- Meat : processed meat, factory farmed pork and fish.
- Vegetables with roots : potatoes, yam and sweet potatoes etc. They are very high in carbohydrates. Carrots should be limited in the amount of intake.
- Fruits : tropical fruits such as banana, mango and papaya etc. Avoid all sweet fruits as they are high in carbohydrates and sugar. However, berries such as strawberries, raspberries and blueberries are acceptable but have to limit the amount of intake. Lemon intake should be limited.
- Drinks : Fruit juices, all kinds of grass fed milk, alcoholic sweet drinks and sodas etc.
- Soy products
- Sweetener : all artificial sweeteners such as sucralose, saccharine and aspartame etc.
- Hydrogenated fats : margarine
Prepare Your Keto Meal
Maybe you are wondering how do I prepare my keto meal? Maybe you have no idea on the amount of ingredients that supposed to be used. Rest assured, I will share some recipes with you and this will give you some ideas while preparing your keto meals.
According to Aaron, an accredited nutritional therapist, clinical weight loss practitioner and the founder of Fat for weight loss, he suggests a simple ratio that is beginners friendly, so you can use this simple ratio while preparing a meal to hit keto macro nutrients without using calculation.
From the picture above, we can divide our plate into three parts. Aaron recommends that the largest part (50%) is for leafy green vegetables and a quarter (25%) is for protein comes from fatty meat, egg or nuts and seeds. The last quarter (25%) is for fats and oils from cheese, butter, cream and coconut oil etc.
Keto Tuna Salad
Put your ingredients accordingly to the portions as shown in the picture above. 1) Open up a canned tuna by using an opener and drain the excess liquid in the can. 2)Remove the red onion skin and cut it into small pieces. You just need a bit of red onion as shown in the picture. 3)slice the celery into small pieces. 4)Next, place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix with mayonnaise. 5)Squeeze a bit of fresh lemon and add some sea salt and black pepper into your salad. Finally, a keto tuna salad is ready.
Keto Ginger Beef (source : Rachel Robert’s recipe)
1) Cook the sirloin steak strips in a pan with olive oil under medium-high heat until turn brownish. 2) Add in ginger, tomatoes, onion, garlic and cauliflower into the well seared sirloin steak strips 3) Then, add in 2 tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar, some black pepper, sea salt and continue to stir-fried a bit with a lower heat. 4) After some liquid are evaporated, turn off the heat and your ginger beef is ready.
Keto Snacks (source : Rachel Robert’s recipe)
1) Peel and slice 2 medium parsnips. 2) Add parsnip chips into a heating olive oil of 350 degrees. 3)Take the parsnip chips up once they have turned brown. 4) Place them in a paper towel to absorb excess oil and some preference seasoning and sea salt.
Keto Raspberry Avocado Smoothie (source : Rachel Robert’s recipe)
Add 1 whole avocado, cup frozen raspberries, 1 tablespoons of stevia liquid, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and some ice cubes into a juice blender and blend until a smoothie texture formed.
*You may make changes to the ingredients and recipes above according to your own preference. However, just make sure every ingredient you add or use must be keto friendly. Our aim for keto diet is very very low carb and sugar but high in healthy fat.
If you ever need helps to plan for your keto diet meal in order to achieve your desire weight goal and lose fat successfully, please look at custom keto diet, you won’t feel stress anymore if you are receiving a proper keto plan.
There are studies show that standard keto diet can help an individual to lose weight and fat effectively. This diet is also giving many health benefits to the users of keto diet. However, some users are suffering “keto flu”at the beginning of their keto diet journey. These symptoms are nausea, fatigue and dizziness etc.
Don’t be panic. Remember to provide more electrolytes to your body by taking in more sea salt and drink plenty of water. Please don’t push yourself for too hard. If you are a carb lover and your life flooded with carb before, maybe you don’t want to cut down all carbs drastically. If you don’t want to enter keto diet right away, you can change your eating habits first by applying keto principles. Reduce your carb and sugar intake day by day. As you are making progress in your diet, you will enjoy in keto diet but not suffering.
Sometimes, people are just too busy to prepare a meal. The good news is now you can even purchase keto meals online easily and get it delivered to your house. Check out for the keto meals menu online and customize your own preference keto meal. Have you ever try keto diet before? If yes, can you let us know whether it is difficult to prepare a keto meal. Please share your thought and leave a comment below.